Day 325

I finally have an answer to all your questions. (Or, at least, most of them.) Many of you have asked me, “What if (insert something terrible happening to the dress)?” And often, I didn’t know. However, as the year’s gone on, I’ve discovered what I would do if the dress got ripped, faded, or permanently stained (bleach, anyone?). So in answer to your questions… In May, I ripped the dress. The worst part about it is that I didn’t even win that round of hide and seek. But that evening my mom and I headed to the craft store and grabbed some mending fabric. It didn’t meld with the dress as well as I would have liked, but it worked.

At that point, I decided that wearing the dress wasn’t going to keep me from living. As time went on, the color began to fade. Then, the lining wore out. I tried to replace it using some iron on tape but it bled through the fabric of the dress and made the skirt awkward and stiff. I was over trying to fix it, though, so I decided to just live with it.

Back in October, I was getting ready to dye the dress to refresh the black color. I decided to try and re-replace the lining but I wound up having to replace the entire skirt instead. It was terrifying to make those cuts. In the midst of all this, I still had to be able to wear the dress, so I did most of the work one evening and finished it up the next morning.

Replacing the skirt led to a whole other problem, though. The skirt, made of new fabric, was significantly darker than the top. I went ahead with my original plan to dye the dress hoping that the mismatch would be corrected, but it wasn’t. I wasn’t sure what I was going to do, but I knew that it would be a few days before I tried to do anything else about it.

Later that day, I was wearing the dress when I cleaned the dye out of the washer. It was a simple process: put in bleach and set the wash cycle. The part that I didn’t count on was bleach splashing onto the skirt (yes, the skirt that I had just replaced) and turning some splotches red.

I tried using sharpie to correct it but the coloring wasn’t quite right. Plus, it kept washing out. I got some more dye and dyed mainly the top of the dress this time using the stovetop. I also tried to correct the bleach spots, but that didn’t work.

I finally had a dress that had even coloring, but I still had splotches of red. Then, a friend of mine suggested using a fabric marker. It was the perfect solution. Now, it’s pretty hard to tell that the spots are even there. And that was all in the first 300 days… I wonder how the last 41 will go!

P.S. Today is my sweet friend Erin's birthday. Happy birthday, Erin! I can't possibly imagine life without you!